Excerpts from "The Messiah Miracle"
J. Foster Ober was commissioned to draw up plans of a church building located to the North and West of the Chapel [built in 1881] .... The congregation went to work with a will to raise the necessary funds with fairs, suppers, and other activities on which goodly sums were realized. The cornerstone of the church [seen below] was laid by Bishop Phillips Brooks on October 3, 1892. The tune "Auburndale" in the 1918 Hymnal was composed by Horatio Parker for this occasion.
On November 15, 1943, tragedy came to our beloved church, when the entire plant was completely gutted and destroyed by a fire of unknown origin. It was indeed a heart-rending sight when many stood in the ruins the next day .... But there amid the ashes and rubble was born the determination to rebuild as soon as possible.
More than 65 years after that service in September 1945, the present members of this active community carry on the traditions of those early members and rededicate themselves and the church as a place of worship, healing, and hospitality. The parish strives to deepen its relationship with one another and initiate new outreach programs outside the walls of our parish.
Click here to read the Wikipedia entry for the Parish of the Messiah.
Save the Date
Join us for these coming events
Summer Sunday Worship Schedule
During the summer, beginning July 6 and running through August 31, the Sunday worship service starts an hour earlier at 9:30 AM. Mark your calendars and join us!
and be sure to check out our monthly Messiah Calendar below.